Local athlete Andy Davis, dubbed  
"Handy Andy"  by  sportswriters, was
drafted by the Redskins in 1952.
He          played with the team for two
seasons.      (By John Daly -- The
Washington Post
Andy Nathan Davis Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 24, 2007
Andy Davis, 80, who is believed to be the first local athlete to sign with the  
Washington Redskins, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 22 at his home
in Silver Spring. Mr. Davis, a backfield star who played both offensive and
defensive positions during his career, was drafted by the Redskins in the
second round in 1952. He was a Washington Redskin for two seasons
before signing with the New York Giants. Plagued by a dislocated shoulder
and knee injuries, he was cut in the fall of 1954.
Although his professional career was brief, Mr. Davis was well-known for
both his celebrated schoolboy athletic career at
McKinley Tech High  
and George Washington University and his subsequent volunteer  
work as president of the Touchdown Club in 1960 and the Redskins
Alumni  Association, which he led for many years. He was vice president of
the NFL   Alumni Association from the late 1970s through the early 1980s
and helped start the Dire Need Fund for former football players with unmet
medical costs.
Born in Indianapolis, he moved with his family to Washington when he was 12 years old. His father was deaf,
and Mr. Davis learned sign language at an early age. At McKinley, he was an all-American, all-high and
all-prep football player. He served in the Army just after World War II in occupied Germany and then returned to
Washington. He played a year of sandlot football with a team called Car Credit.
Mr. Davis accepted a football scholarship to George Washington University, where he toppled several school
records. A tailback, he completed 237 of 532 pass attempts, passed for 3,587 yards and threw 14 touchdown
passes. His 950 rushing or passing plays gained 5,003 yards. An honorable mention all-American, he was
inducted into the GWU Hall of Fame in 1973.
Shirley Povich, the late Washington Post sports editor, in 1950 called him "the brightest backfield star on a
Washington college team in many seasons."
In his rookie year as a pro, the local phenomenon was tapped by coach Curly  Lambeau to try out for
quarterback, alongside the legendary Sammy Baugh and  Harry Gilmer. Dubbed "Handy Andy " by
sportswriters, Mr. Davis received high praise from Lambeau early in the season for his play at the bruising
wing  position on defense. Despite the coach's promise to use him on offense, Mr.  Davis never got the
chance. Then in November, Lambeau lambasted Mr. Davis  publicly, placing the blame for the team's 23-17
loss to the San Francisco 49ers on him and defensive halfback Bob Sykes.
" Andy just gets rattled and doesn't think in the heat of the game," Lambeau  told sportswriters. "He played a
bad game and so did Sykes. It wiped out a great  team effort, the greatest we've made this season."
An intense competitor, Mr. Davis refrained from public comment at the time,  but he was deeply hurt. He
continued to play, but in the next preseason, he  dislocated his shoulder three times in three exhibitions.
His last play as a Redskin, Povich wrote, was "a brilliant defensive maneuver on which he stripped the
Giants' ball carrier to two blockers, and made the tackle to enforce a 2-yard loss."
He was paid his $6,000 salary for the year, but when the season ended, he  became a free agent and signed
with the Giants. Before the 1954 season started, he was cut.
The end of his football career didn't seem to hurt his popularity. The  6-foot, 188-pound blond modeled for
Hecht's print advertisements and Sea Ski  billboards and walked a fashion-show runway for a Greater
Southeast Community  Hospital fundraiser.
While playing ball, he had worked on the side as a salesman and then as  general manager of ABC Express,
a freight-forwarding and cargo-trucking  business. He eventually became an insurance salesman with the
John Hancock  financial services company and handled the insurance needs of C & P Telephone Co.  
employees. He was a member of the Million Dollar Roundtable, a distinction  reserved for top agents. He
retired in 1993.
Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Dorothy Davis of Silver Spring; five daughters, Andrea Davis of Bonita
Beach, Fla., Suzanne Swagart of Rockville,  Laurie Potter of Gaithersburg, Patty Gallagher of Rockville and
Leslie Davis  Blackwell of Richmond; four sisters, Marie Green of Virginia Beach, Dorothy  Brown of
Selbyville, Del., Betty Kelly of Annapolis and Nancy Helton of  Winchester; 13 grandchildren; and two