Published in The Washington Post on Sept. 19, 2014
McKNEW EDWARD F. McKNEW, JR.
Edward F. McKnew, Jr., a sixth generation Washingtonian,
born October 7, 1919, and resident of Midlothian, Virginia,
died, unexpectedly, on Friday, September 12, 2014, at St.
Francis Hospital in Midlothian, VA.
He was a direct descendant of Jean Pierre Sioussat,
Protocol Officer in the White House during President
Madison's administration. Mr. McKnew attended old
Central High School "1938", George Washington
University, and American University.
He served five years with the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and participated in
naval engagements in North Africa, Sicily, and Omaha Beach, Normandy. He was a
member of Washing- ton's Fifth Battalion, Marine Corps Reserves, and was activated
with that organization when it was mobilized in November, 1940.
He worked for the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Information Agency as an
auditor and retired from that organization in 1978 after 32 years of government service.
He had temporary duty assignments in 53 countries throughout the world.
After his retirement, he served as a volunteer at Fairfax Hospital and Chippenham
Hospital in Richmond. He also worked for the National Council of Senior Citizens in
He was a member of the Washington Redskins marching band and was an avid Redskin
fan, having attended games since 1937.
He was a resident of McLean, Virginia, for 31 years before moving to the Richmond area.
His marriage to Gayle Osen McKnew ended in divorce.
He was predeceased by his second wife, Marguerite Auburn McKnew.
He is survived by five children from his first marriage: Edward F. (Karen) McKnew, III, of
Linden, Va.; Pamela Lawson, of Ashburn, Va.; Barbara (Douglas) Griffin of Anchorage,
Alaska; John T. McKnew of Spencerville, MD; Elizabeth (Allan) Shimotani, of St. Louis,
Missouri; eight grandchildren and six great grandchildren, and his good friend and
companion, Ulrike Wehage of Dusseldorf, Germany.
A Celebration of Life Service will be held at the Woody Funeral Home Huguenot Chapel
in Midlothian, VA in late October 2014.